CBS News is replacing the top executive at "CBS This Morning," which has struggled to maintain its footing since Charlie Rose was fired a year ago on sexual misconduct charges.
The network announced Friday that executive producer Ryan Kadro will be leaving "CBS This Morning" and the network. He's been with the show since its 2012 launch and been running it since his predecessor, Chris Licht, left to take over Stephen Colbert's "Late Show" three years ago
CBS said Kadro's exit had nothing to do with the network's settlement this week of a lawsuit filed by three women concerning Rose's behavior that had faulted management, including Kadro, for not acting to stop him.
No replacement has been named.
Kadro, in a note to his staff, said he had been discussing his future with CBS News President David Rhodes since September. His contract expires at the end of the year.
"Through our discussions, I couldn't shake the feeling in my gut that I need a new challenge, and a serious nap," Kadro wrote. "It's the natural course of things."
"CBS This Morning" had generated significant momentum in the lucrative morning marketplace earlier in the decade with a newsier approach led by the on-air anchor team of Rose, Gayle King and Norah O'Donnell. While it remained third in the ratings to ABC's "Good Morning America" and NBC's "Today" show, its audience grew and it was competitive with its rivals for the first time in a long time.
After Rose's departure, that momentum halted. All of the network morning news shows are losing audience, but none as quickly as CBS. The show has been averaging just under 3.2 million viewers this year, compared to 3.6 million before Rose's exit in November 2017, the Nielsen company said.
Rose was replaced by John Dickerson, the former "Face the Nation" host. In October, Bianna Golodryga was added as a fourth anchor.
CBS had said earlier this week that it had settled its portion of a lawsuit filed by two former "CBS This Morning" employees, Katherine Brooks Harris and Yuqing Wei, and a third woman who worked as Rose's assistant, Sydney McNeal, who had accused Rose of unwanted physical contact. The lawsuit said one of the women had warned Kadro of Rose's behavior but that nothing had been done; CBS said Kadro had a different recollection of the discussion.
CBS News said the settlement was unrelated to the change.
Finding a new leader for its morning show and entrusting that person to turn things around isn't the only management issue Rhodes is facing.
He's mulling a closely-watched decision on leadership at "60 Minutes," television news' most popular and influential program. The show's previous executive producer, Jeff Fager, was let go in September after sending a threatening text to another CBS News reporter who was working on a story about misconduct allegations against Fager.
It's one of the top jobs in television journalism. Bill Owens, a veteran "60 Minutes" executive who is the show's interim leader, and "48 Hours" top executive Susan Zirinsky are thought to be two of the top candidates.
Another important show for the network, the "CBS Evening News," has been hurting in the ratings with Jeff Glor as top anchor.
Five out of seven inductees for 2019 are U.K. artists – but why are Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and others still on the outside?
Faster than a speeding bullet. More powerful than a locomotive. But which Superman movies leap over the others?
It's early yet, but 2019 is already shaping up to be an intriguing year for rock fans.
British officials have released the photos chosen by members of the royal family for their Christmas cards.
Prince William and his wife Kate are shown outside in casual clothes, their three young children in tow. Prince Harry and Meghan chose a black and white motif that shows the newlyweds admiring a fireworks display at their evening wedding reception in May.
For ardent gardener Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, the choice was a photo that showed them gazing lovingly at one another while sitting on a bench surrounded by greenery.
And Queen Elizabeth II? Buckingham Palace officials say there are no plans to release an image of the card used by the queen and her husband, Prince Philip.
Gloomy, gothy, punky, poppy -- the multidimensional band's albums are among the best of the era.
The rapper's shark-jumping “Ocean to Ocean” might be the worst version of all time.
Spanish prosecutors are charging pop music star Shakira with tax evasion, alleging she failed to pay more than 14.5 million euros ($16.3 million) between 2012 and 2014.
The charges published Friday allege Shakira listed the Bahamas as her official residence for tax purposes during those years but was in fact living in Spain with her partner, Spanish soccer player Gerard Pique.
Tax rates are much lower in the Bahamas than in Spain.
Prosecutors in Barcelona say her travel abroad was for short periods because of professional commitments, while most of the year she stayed in Spain. They want her to pay tax in Spain on her worldwide income.
The Colombian singer officially moved to Spain for tax purposes in 2015, after having two children by Pique.
A magistrate will assess whether there is enough evidence to put Shakira on trial. Shakira's representatives said they had no immediate comment.
Prosecutors want Shakira to pay a bond of 19.4 million euros — the amount they say she owes in tax, plus 33 percent, in accordance with Spanish law. Otherwise, they recommend a court freeze of her assets to that amount.
Shakira was named in the "Paradise Papers" leaks that detailed the offshore tax arrangements of numerous high-profile individuals, including musical celebrities like Madonna and U2's Bono.
The documents were obtained by German daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung and investigated by Spanish news website El Confidencial.
Spain's tax authorities referred their probe to the Barcelona prosecutor's office a year ago.
Sports celebrities have also been in trouble with Spanish tax authorities, including footballers Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.
Kanye West is not sending Christmas cheer to Drake.
West appeared to reignite a feud with the fellow rapper in a series of tweets on Thursday in which he claimed Drake had called trying to threaten him.
West wrote "So drake if anything happens to me or anyone from my family you are the first suspect - So cut the tough talk."
West alleged Drake was behind audience members rushing the stage and splashing fellow rapper Pusha T with liquid during a concert in Toronto in November.
Drake did not post a response. An email seeking comment was sent to a Drake representative.
The rappers have had an ongoing feud this year, but West had apologized to Drake in September.
They were on the ballot last year as well, and showed no small degree of apathy toward the nomination.
Take www.eagledayton.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!