Palm Springs police Sgt. William Hutchinson told The Los Angeles Times that Tramel saw his daughter was not moving and turning blue, so he jumped into the pool.
When Tramel got in the pool, he was electrocuted, dying later that day at a nearby hospital.
Police said Tramel's daughter is still in critical condition.
KNTV reported that a 6-year-old boy, an 8-year-old girl and a 45-year-old woman were also treated for related injuries Sunday and were later released.
Authorities said a faulty light fixture that electrified the pool may be to blame.
Hutchinson said the fixture was missing screws and may have had a power surge.
Mitchell Weisman, the CEO of the company for which Tramel worked, set up a GoFundMe page for Tramel's wife, Kim, "as a stipend, for use by Kim as she chooses for the welfare and education of her children, and/or as one or more donation(s) to some deserving nonprofit(s) of her choice."
Over $153,829 has been donated in two days.
DAD ELECTROCUTED IN POOL: Many are asking how this could happen. A Burlingame father is dead and his 9-year-old daughter...